Tuesday 21 February 2012

10 FOR TUESDAYS - KRUISEMODE

Welcome back to our '10 For Tuesday's' series. This week we have New York based producer Kruisemode. So lets get straight into it.

When did you start making music and what was it that led you to start?
I started making music in high school back in 2006. At the time I was probably the biggest Bloc Party fan on the face of the planet so a lot of my music sounded very influenced by them. I used to use Audacity with a free drum machine that I downloaded and recorded everything live one track after another. What lead me more into the beat production side of things was the ‘Silent Alarm’ remix album. After that, a friend finally introduced me to DAWs and here I am now. Back then I was more of a house music junkie so most of my early productions were of that genre.

What software do you use to make music?
Ableton.

What one piece of software/hardware could you not live without?
Ableton again. Sort of had to do that for a while… I’d rather not talk about it….

Who are your main influences both producers and artists?
I’m just going to list in no specific order. Dr. Dre, Luther Vandross, Onra, 2pac, Siriusmo, SebastiAn.



Who would be your favourite artist to collaborate with?
SBTRKT….Big L (if only).



How do you think the Internet has helped musicians?
The Internet is really like the wild west and for musicians that’s great. It gives them endless options to promote themselves and allows them instant feedback on their craft. Also the idea of the collab has totally changed, people don’t even have to meet face to face and yet can make a track together in a short time. It’s because of this speed that we’re seeing music evolve at such a fast pace…it’s really exciting.

What advice would you give to an up and coming producer/artist from your own experiences?
You should truly love what you’re doing and be able to devote your soul to your art. If you don’t then what’s the point?

If you were stuck on a desert island, which other artist would you want to be stuck with?
Definitely Bjork. There’s no way she’s a human being so I think our chances of survival would dramatically increase with help from her alien knowledge. Plus maybe she’ll even sing me to sleep at night….

What artists in the chart are you impressed with at the moment?
Everyone on the French Express label is amazing….Perseus, Jonas Rathsman, and Stewrat are all on another level. Also I want to give a shout to the Cadence Collective (http://soundcloud.com/cadencecollective) … It’s a group made up of producers from the UK and US. We got our first compilation coming out sometime within the month, so stay tuned!

And finally what do you think about StudioBookers and why would you recommend it to your friends?
I think it’s a great way for studio owners and artists to connect. I would definitely recommend it to anyone seeking to go from “bedroom producing” to the studio.   

This week we have a special guest mix from Kruisemode which features tracks from himself and other members of his collective the 'Cadence Collective.' You can listen to the mix below.



You can also find Kruisemode on:


Soundcloud

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin